Re: ORA-07429 Error

From: <KJOHNSON_at_ESRIN.BITNET>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 17:49:32 CET

In article <315lerINN1mb_at_rrzs3.uni-regensburg.de>, c3055_at_rphc5 (Alexander Dauensteiner) says:

>Configuration: SUN Sparc10 with 32MB memory and Solaris 2.3

>ORA-01034:ORACLE not available
>ORA-07429:smgsg:shmget() failed to get segment
>
>So what do do? Any suggestions?
>
>Alex

You normally get this error message when the environment variable ORACLE_SID has not been specified correctly, or the database not open.

More specifically, check the directory $ORACLE_HOME/dbs for the existence of a file sgadefABC.dbf (replace ABC by your database SID). (a) If the file does not exist - the database is not up (b) If it does exist , either - (i) ORACLE_SID is set incorrectly

                                (ii) You may have had a failure/crash
                                     which needs to be tidied up.

Ý Also check in the environment variable TWO_TASK, as this may be set   to point you to a different (possibly remote) database, overriding

  ORACLE_SID.                                                         ¨

Good luck, Kevin.

Kevin Johnson                      EMAIL  :  johnson_at_mail.esrin.esa.it
Information Administrator
European Space Agency              DISCLAIMER :  These views are mine
ESRIN, FRASCATI, ITALIA.                         not necessarily those
                                                 of my employer.