Re: Order in Where Clause

From: BHARTER <bharter_at_aol.com>
Date: 26 Jul 1994 18:00:05 -0400

Ron A. Olshavsky (rono_at_netcom.com) wrote:
: Can anyone give a decent answer to how thigs should be ordered in a
 WHERE
: clause of a lrage multi-table select?

: Ive heard it matters a great deal, to it doesnt matter at all...

: I know that the FROM is very important, and simply chaing the order the
: tables are listed in cut a large query time in half...

: Can optimizing the WHERE statement help anymore?

You will find it will possibly help as much as the orderin gof the from clause. If you are concerned with performance there are a number of things you can do in addition to reordering the from and where clauses. You should invest in a good 3rd party book about optimizing Oracle. The book 'ORACLE Performance Tuning' published by O'Reilly & Associates is an invaluable guide for me. Received on Wed Jul 27 1994 - 00:00:05 CEST

Original text of this message