ORA-00600 (was Re: Oracle 7 Deletion Problem)

From: Thomas B. Cox <tcox_at_netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 1994 04:56:07 GMT

The Peasant <prashant_at_cs.pitt.edu> wrote:
>Tony Jambu (aaj_at_cmutual.com.au) wrote:

>|> SQL> delete tcmunicipality where MUNICIPALITYNAME like 'Mun%';
>|> delete tcmunicipality where MUNICIPALITYNAME like 'Mun%'
>|> *
>|> ERROR at line 1:
>|> ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [12838],

[...etc.]

>One thing you could try is check under the USER_CONSTRAINTS to see if
>you have set any constraints on this table. If a primary key constraint
>has been set Disable the primary Key constraint then go ahead and drop
>this constraint. Then try to drop it. It should work.
>I do not know your version of Database but there is a similar problem in
>7.0.13.

Yes, I've seen this with both 7.0.13 and one copy (pre-release) of 7.0.15. In both cases, the presence of constraints was related. Disable the constraints and do the deletion. (In one case I disabled and re-enabled the constraints, and that fixed it.)

Clearly a bug, and one you should call in with.

Cheers.

 -Tom

--
Thomas Cox      tcox_at_netcom.com        Cox for Labor Commissioner