DB Design - Coding Standard for Roads for City Authority

From: City of Johannesburg - MSD <gcross_at_apollo.is.co.za>
Date: 9 Jul 1994 20:29:48 GMT

I am responsible for setting a standard on coding of Roads and Townships within our local authority. We are experiencing problems in defining a standards that addresses all situations.

The kinds of problems the standard needs to address is, uniquely locating a motor vehicle accident when capturing it on the computer. A single Road can extend through multiple townships, and a Road may actually form a boundary between two townships and a Road with the same name can appear in another township.

I'm looking for ideas from other major cities, New York, London, Sydney, etc. as to what standards have been found to be succesful.

Thanking you in advance

Gevin Cross
gcross_at_apollo.is.co.za Received on Sat Jul 09 1994 - 22:29:48 CEST

Original text of this message