Re: Splitting this newsgroup?

From: Chris Thompson <cet1_at_cus.cam.ac.uk>
Date: 8 Jul 1994 14:24:45 GMT

In article <CsI9r0.3Az_at_cmutual.com.au>, aaj_at_cmutual.com.au (Tony Jambu) writes:

|> Because this is a COMP newsgroup there are procedured to take and follow
|> like there has to be a minimum number of votes and a certain % or yeah
|> votes. Would you like me to request a 'CFV' call for votes? I am willing
|> to take this offline and if it is approved, we could then decide what sub
|> newsgroups there should be.

If you are serious about this, read the whole of the guidelines for creating a new Usenet group which are posted regularly in all of:

   news.announce.newusers  news.groups       news.announce.newgroups
   news.admin.misc         news.answers

You aren't remotely near the stage for a CFV yet. There should be an official RFD and period of discussion in news.groups first. Discussions involving the splitting of existing groups tend to be particularly vicious.

Current practice, after many unfortunate incidents, is tending towards the appointment of neutral vote takers.

Personal opinion: this group doesn't need splitting.

Chris Thompson
Cambridge University Computing Service
Internet: cet1_at_ucs.cam.ac.uk
JANET: cet1_at_uk.ac.cam.ucs Received on Fri Jul 08 1994 - 16:24:45 CEST

Original text of this message