EASY? Drop a column in a table.

From: Brett M May <bmay_at_novalink.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 94 08:43:46 EST

> I'm somewhat new at this. I tried to drop the column APPL_ID in
> a table called PERSON in Oracle 7. I tried:
>
> alter table PERSON drop (APPL_ID)
>
> but was told I was missing an expression.
> I figure either this is very easy to do, or it can't be done.
> HELP!
> Anil Rhemtulla

Anil, I hate to be bearer of ill news and such, but you can't drop a column from a table in any version of oracle that I've seen. You can add a column to a table, or modify it by changing its length, but you can't drop it.
Your only recourse is to drop the entire table and recreate it minus the offending column.

Cheers,
Brett

Brett M. May         |"...so I says to the lama, 'HEY! LAMA! How
Andersen Consulting  |bout a little something for the effort?'
Houston, TX          |And the lama says, 'oh, there will be no
(713) 237-2206 (day) |money. But when you die, on your deathbed,
bmay_at_novalink.com    |you will recieve total conciousness.' So I