Re: DBperl and/or oraperl

From: Tim Bunce <timbo_at_ig.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 1994 14:50:14 +0000

In article <2v0rda$qaa_at_crocus.csv.warwick.ac.uk> cudau_at_csv.warwick.ac.uk (Hank Robinson) writes:

>I've not been reading as much USENET news as I ought to over the last few
>months, but have now caught up with the most recent couple of hundred messages
>on comp.databases.oracle; an activity for which I barely have time (given the
>very high throughput of this group), yet alone trying to similarly catchup with
>the perl groups.
>
>I am interested in knowing what is the current/latest situation with DBperl
>and/or oraperl? Is Kevin Stock still working on this/these, and, if so, where
>is he now? (Some months ago he suddenly finished working at some place, and
>no-one seemed to know if oraperl was going to be supported) There was only one
>mention of oraperl in the most recent couple of hundred messages on this group;
>someone saying that they use it a lot (like me:-)

Kevin is sadly no longer on the net.

I'm the current editor of the DBperl specification and keeper of the DBperl ftp archive (ftp.demon.co.uk:/pub/perl/db)

Oraperl v2.4 is effectively frozen. I have placed copies of patches and other postings related to oraperl (mainly oracle 7 and porting to certain platforms) in the oraperl directory of the archive.

The DBperl spec is being reworked to make best use of the very wonderful new features in Perl 5 (which should go from alpha to beta release this month).

It is envisaged that DBperl will ship with a perl 'header' file that will implement an oraperl emulation and thus preserve your investment in oraperl scripts.

As for when, I can't say. I am the bottleneck at the moment and I'm being hammered for time by my work commitments. Work *is* progressing albeit more slowly than I'd like.

If you want to keep upto date you can subscribe to the DBperl mailing list by emailing your request perldb-interest-REQUEST_at_vix.com.

>Someone else suggested that this group be split up into parts; this seems to
>be a good idea, and almost necessary; what do you think?

Agreed.

>Hank Robinson.
>Oracle DBA.

Regards,
Tim Bunce. Received on Mon Jul 04 1994 - 16:50:14 CEST

Original text of this message