Re: How much RAM in a server for graphics?

From: Ken Rimple <krimple_at_netaxs.com>
Date: 2 Jul 1994 12:27:53 GMT

Kurt Schmidt (slores_at_connected.com) wrote:
>> I would appreciate information on how much RAM should we count on for a
>> databases server that will need to handle BLOb (graphics) files (files
>> size in the range of 3MB max). How would one calculate the RAM required for
>> one user, and how for multiple users?

My guess is that you'll only need the standard RAM per user (I think it was 42K on OS/2, and probably a little more or less under Unix, but it is supposedly 38K on NT). NT doesn't buffer graphics on the server, it treats it like a stream of data, so RAM isn't going to particuarly HURT the situation, but like anything else, it is the data cache that is going to benefit from this.

Anyone out there know if SQL Server does anything different to an IMAGE data type in the data cache? Anyway, I would count on having a LOT of RAM, but also striping out the disks in such a way that you load-balance requests (eg: RAID Disk Arrays of Data Stripes) because normally a SQL Server user doesn't pull out that much data at a time, and you'll probably be I/O bound here.

Ken

Ken Rimple           | "Brave Fortunato..."
Ardmore, PA          |         ---Edgar Allen Poe
krimple_at_netaxs.com   |

The thoughts represented here are solely of the author's. No company representation is implied. Received on Sat Jul 02 1994 - 14:27:53 CEST

Original text of this message