Re: RE:TABLESPACE INCREASING

From: Richard W. Harris <rwh4_at_pitt.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 1994 14:20:31

In article <2uupjt$7im_at_podsun6.cc.binghamton.edu> bpanko_at_podsun6.cc.binghamton.edu (bpanko) writes:
>From: bpanko_at_podsun6.cc.binghamton.edu (bpanko)
>Subject: RE:TABLESPACE INCREASING
>Date: 30 Jun 1994 11:50:21 -0400

>HI,USERS

>I am new to ORACLE (6.0).
>Would really appreciate if I get a quick and dirty way to fix this:
>"database is out of space! Increase tablespace before proceeding.
>error during connect - 1547"
>I guess I ought to use SQLDBA>alter tablespace command.
>Could you also explain all the terms tablespace and stuff.
>Do I need to do it "Offline" and anything else.

Hi,

Your guess is correct. You need to do the following command:

ALTER TABLESPACE <tablespace-name>
ADD DATAFILE '<new-tablespace-datafile>' SIZE <new-tablespace-datafile-size>;

<tablespace-name> is the tablespace that you need to increase.

<new-tablespace-datafile> is the name of the file that this extention of the tablespace is going to be called.

<new-tablespace-datafile-size> is the size of this new file, which can be given in Kb or Mb. For a 10000Kb file enter '10K', for a 20 Mb file enter '20M'.

You do not need to take the tablespace offline.

Now, to explain what you are doing...

A tablespace is a storage object in which tables, indexes, etc. are created. Oracle comes with one tablespace created already, called SYSTEM. In terms of your actual system, a tablespace is generally made up of one or more files. When the tablespace gets too big for the existing file(s), either find out why and correct the problem, or add another file.

This is handled at the DBA level so that users can't fill up your disk accidentally by creating ultra-huge tables. It's basically a form of system resource allocation.

I know I'm massively generalizing here. For actual details, read the Database Administrator's Guide. I only have version 6 right now, and in my documentation you especially want to concentrat on parts I and II (part II actually gets into what a tablespace is).

But for now, ALTER TABLESPACE will do the job.

>THANKS IN ADVANCE.

  • Rick

Richard Harris
Systems Analyst (.sig under contruction -- stay tuned) Office Systems Services
University of Pittsburgh
(rwh4+_at_pitt.edu) Received on Thu Jun 30 1994 - 14:20:31 CEST

Original text of this message