Re: Q: Get OS Userid

From: Donald Munro <ccahdm_at_beluga.upe.ac.za>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 1994 07:48:11 GMT

In article <1994Jun19.162306.24152_at_ericsson.se> ebcrbj_at_ebcw150.ericsson.se (BO/EBC/KX/RGFC Roger Bjaerevall 08-682 4851) writes:

>Is it possible to get the OS userid of the current user (SUN OS)?

>The 'SELECT user FROM dual' call does only return current ORACLE userid.
>I did not find any matching parameter to the USERENV() call either.

>We need this because our application is connecting to only one static
>specified ORACLE userid/password. Though we need to track each specific
>user with the OS userid.

You can use a C program to get the OS user id (perhaps using getuid and getpwuid with Solaris/System V).
If you need to access it via a single SQL statement then you could write a C program which stores (usercode,terminal) combinations in a table (you get the terminal using USERENV('TERMINAL')) which you call in the .profile script. Then whenever you need the usercode you do a SELECT USERCODE INTO usercode
FROM USERS
WHERE USER=USERENV('TERMINAL'); Donald Munro (ccahdm_at_beluga.upe.ac.za) Computing Centre, University of Port Elizabeth Received on Tue Jun 21 1994 - 09:48:11 CEST

Original text of this message