Re: Oracle 7.0.15 ReportWriter prformance problem on Solaris 2.2

From: Lionel Lee Yuin <lionell_at_solomon.technet.sg>
Date: 15 Jun 1994 04:09:16 GMT

Lionel Lee Yuin (lionell_at_solomon.technet.sg) wrote:
: Our site is encountering a strange performance problem which I hope you can
: kindly advise us or perhaps suggest some recommendations:
:
: Whenever our particular inhouse app runs using Oracle 7 ReportWriter, the
: turnaround time is terribly slow - ranging from more than 20 minutes to
: hours! iostat says there is virtually no physical disk access and the idle
: % of our 6-CPU SC2000 ranges from 60-90% free. vmstat says that there are
: virtually not much paging and no swapping at all. sar says about the same.
: However, Oracle's sqldba monitor reveals that there is tremendeous I/O
: (logical I/O) associated with these particular user sessions.
: Moreover, trussing the app's shadow process (for dbwriter) indicates all I/O
: are performed in terms of 2K (equivalent to ora.init block size parameter
: setting). Two task & ISM are turned off.
:
: [1] I suspect the I/O are mainly intensive memory moves within sections of
: memory reserved by Oracle. Will this be Oracle's SGA or PGA?

: [2] If indeed I/O are contained within memory, then why so extremely slow?

: [3] Do you think such problems can be attributed to the database block size not
: tally with the default SunOS 5.2 block size of 8K?
:
: [4] Our DBA says that the database instance has to be shutdown & restart in
: order for the parameter changes in init.ora to take effect. Is this true?

  [5] Our DBA also says the entire database files need to be reorganised in order for the new 8K block size to take effect. She says to the effect that the existing 2K database files has to be wiped out & recreated as 8K database files by Oracle. Is this true? Why can't we simply just alter the init.ora block size parameter value & retain the existing database files?

:
: Please kindly help me to answer at least some of the above questions, since
: our organisational wide MIS is solely dependent on this Oracle platform.

: Sincere thanks & best regards.
:
: Lionel Lee
: System Manager