Re: Sybase and ORACLE update

From: Mark S Mertel <msm_at_safesurfer.pencom.com>
Date: 9 Jun 1994 15:03:20 GMT

In article <2t4it2$gj9_at_lastactionhero.rs.itd.umich.edu> stimpy_at_beavis.im.med.umich.edu (Gary L.) writes:

> I just called both SyBase and ORACLE....

> SyBase sez: (and the lamer I talked to was rude and uninterested
> with even talking to me for a second) "we are not going to support
 NeXTSTEP"

--
Pity about sybase, considering that there is a version of SQL Server
already running on NS black which has become kind of a defacto

We ran in to that same problem recently.  Here's the low down:

1. Borland's Interbase, which is currently for sale, and the licensing is
expensive.  you have to license each noe - client and server.  With other
adaptor supported DBMS's this is not necessary.

2. QuickBase is another alternative; low cost, FAT, and ready to roll, but
large customers tend to shy away from non-name recognizable DBMS's.  HP
support is also in the offing.

3. There's also Gupta's SQL engine.  This one is an unknown to me.

That's it.  I'd say that Oracle is making a smart move and might be able
to capture a potentially large market by offering their server on NS.
--
Mark Mertel				Email:  msm_at_pencom.com
Pencom Software				Phone: (512) 343-6666