Re: password, and login

From: <jl34778_at_corp02.d51.lilly.com>
Date: 8 Jun 94 18:47:07 EST

In article <1994Jun8.174832.1916_at_falcons.com>, tech_at_falcons.com (cybertech) writes:
> Greeting, I have a problem with my inherited oracle sqlplus db. The problem is
> that I have been given control of this thing, and no one has the login names or
> the passwd for this particvlar install. If any one can help me, I would
> really appreciate it.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Rich Headrick
> rich_at_falcons.com

To get a list of usernames, run SQLDBA from the ORACLE owner account. On VMS, this is the account that has the ORA_DBA rights identifier. Under UNIX, this is the account in the 'dba' group. People generally set up this account as 'oracle' or 'oracle7'.

$ sqldba lmode=y
SQLDBA> connect internal
SQLDBA> select username from dba_users;

You can't view people's passwords, but you can change them. Once you determine username from DBA_USERS, you can use the ALTER USER command (ORACLE7) or the GRANT CONNECT command (ORACLE6) to change the password.

ORACLE6         SQLDBA> GRANT CONNECT TO username IDENTIFIED BY new_password;

ORACLE7         SQLDBA> ALTER USER username IDENTIFIED BY new_password;

Hope this helps.

--
Bob Swisshelm                | swisshelm_at_Lilly.com     | 317 276 5472
Eli Lilly and Company        | Lilly Corporate Center  | Indianapolis, IN 46285