Re: Lots of tables in O7

From: Molnar Ingo <mingo_at_PROBLEM_WITH_INEWS_GATEWAY_FILE>
Date: 8 Jun 94 18:50:51 +0200

scott_at_chuck.sycraft.com wrote:
> My group is building a critical application. One option is to use many tables
> for lookup info (carriers, types of things, etc.) all data driven. This is
> best for the tools we use. Result would be 60+ tables of which 20 would have
> fewer than 20 rows (lookup stuff). Option two would be to put all of that
> lookup stuff in one table.

There is an oracle startup parameter which sets the maximum size of in-memory tables. This means that small tables under this size (in rows) are kept in the SGA. If you put them into one table you might exceed this size. It's a good point to keep small tables organised because their complexity is usualy bigger than their size. Performance is no arguument, all rows are cached. The other point is that your system probably grows and if you use 'merged' lookup tables they may exceed the mentioned size. There is no limit for the number of 'small' tables kept in memory constantly.

MIngo. Received on Wed Jun 08 1994 - 18:50:51 CEST

Original text of this message