Re: Serious Limitation of SP?

From: Mike Bernier <mike.bernier_at_daytonoh.ncr.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 1994 21:03:44 GMT

>In article <jdennisCr1Ars.67G_at_netcom.com> John Dennis writes:
>Hello,
>
>A serious limitation of stored procedures (in my world) is they cannot
>return a "result set" like "select" statements do. I have used
>this with Sybase and it has proved to be *very* helpful if not critical
>feature of SPs. What options do I have to overcome this problem? I
>see that a "TEMP" table could be used to pass the results back to a
>application is one option -- although sub-optimal.
>
>Thanks for any insight,
>
>John Dennis
>Atlanta, GA

John,

If you're an Oracle Glue user, it will be possible in the near future to return a complete result set with one procedure call. The "out" parameters must be defined as type TABLE index by binary_integer and you must populate the tables from within a cursor FOR LOOP or some similar way. The inability to return full result sets has been a major problem for us for some time. After quite a bit of arm-twisting, Oracle has recently agreed to enhance their Glue product to provide this functionality and has actually provided us with a beta dll which works. Contact Oracle for info about this dll - we are not permitted to distribute it. We have not been given a date when this functionality will be released in the production product.

If you have any further questions, please email or telephone me.

Mike Received on Tue Jun 07 1994 - 23:03:44 CEST

Original text of this message