Mass updates in Oracle?

From: Michael Stowe <Michael.Stowe_at_f573.n115.z1.fidonet.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 94 08:46:56 -0500

  • Quoting Output Services to All dated 06-01-94 ***
    > Can I tell Oracle V7, "Look, I don't care if you can't roll it back.
    > If the run fails, I'll rerun it, so don't attempt rollback."?

Not to the best of my knowledge, but you can save time by turning off indexes during a load, and you can certainly drop/recreate a table instead of deleting it.

> The data processing will involve loading 250-1200 meg/day into the
> database, processing it, and then deleting it the next day before the
> run.

You will definitely need to tune the database with this scenario in mind!

> I could preprocess the data for SQL-Load, drop then create the tables,
> then load using the fast-path thingamabob, but then I'd have to
> stage the data several times on our system
> (Tape->Preprocessed->Oracle).

What was your alternative, out of curiosity? Loading directly from tape?

> I'd also lose the ability to manipulate part of the tables; I'd have to
> drop/create entire tables. Ideally, we could put all four of our
> customer's data in the same tables (differentiated by a field), but
> manipulate a customer's data individually.

It doesn't sound like you're thinking relationally at all. :) Received on Tue Jun 07 1994 - 15:46:56 CEST

Original text of this message