Re: MTS Summary

From: <jaakola_at_cc.helsinki.fi>
Date: 3 Jun 94 23:20:00 EET

In article <1994Jun3.181736.26894_at_rossinc.com>, davidgi_at_rossinc.com (David J. Gimpelevich) writes:
> "Things are supposed to change dramaticaly when 7.1 is released,(new
> administration tools will emerge,MTS is going to be more optimized then today,
> SGA a bit bigger...) so I dont think it pays out to switch to MTS now."

I had a case of Digital Alpha 4000/610 OSF 1.3 with 192 MB of RAM and Oracle 7.0.15. We needed to have 96 simultaneous users on it. I tried first it with version 7.0.13 without MTS and soon run out of memory. And the run queue length was very long.

With MTS the run queue is automatically limited and with 10 MT-processes it runs fairly well without consuming too much memory.

As a rule of thumb, when you have more than 50 users, use MTS. Below that, don't waste your time configuring it.

--
Juhani Jaakola, jaakola_at_cc.helsinki.fi