Re: Where to put the Forms?

From: Alan MCCulloch <amccullo_at_ccu1.auckland.ac.nz>
Date: 3 Jun 1994 09:42:24 GMT

wolkowsb_at_hp.cuug.ab.ca (Brian Wolkowski 263-2600) writes:

>We keep all of our forms in there own separate directories.
>To make it easy to find where a certain application resides on disk
>we have created the a table that looks something like the following :

>create table application_locations (
> application_name char(30),
> application_location char(256)
>);

>None of our forms directly do a "call_form". We have also created a
>library form that is copied/referenced by other forms which we pass
>the application_name that we want to call. This library form does
>the table lookup to see where the desired form resides and then executes
>the call_form with the appropriate path.

>If you are running some flavor of UNIX you may use environment variables
>within the application_locations.application_location field. We maintain
>the same directory structure of our systems on our production computers
>as on our developement computer except that the "system root" directory
>is different. We just use an environment variable to indicate the root
>directory of the system and append the relative pathname of the application
>onto that.

>We use this same approach for envoking the "host" cammand as well.

>Comments ?
>--
>Later... e-mail: wolkowsb_at_.cuug.ab.ca
>Brian R. Wolkowski voice: (1 403) 242-7886 (home)
> (1 403) 263-2600 (work)

Another possibilty in a Unix system is to use "soft links", so that you can have all your .frm (& .inp for backup say) files appearing in and runnable from one directory, but these are only pointers to the actual files in other directories. A simple ls -l shows where the original lives.

Linkage can be many to one, which allows a single .frm to be known by many names - I find this very useful (in an application involving displying lists of applications accessible to a given user).

This works very well for me, but we only operate a small system - could well be problems on a larger scale.

Alan McCulloch Received on Fri Jun 03 1994 - 11:42:24 CEST

Original text of this message