What's the scoop, group? Which OS: Solaris or SCO for 6 and 7

From: John Kelly <jckelly_at_netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 1994 04:04:05 GMT

I have a small client, they are running ISC UNIX with Oracle 6. They want to upgrade the OS. BUT it seems that Oralce is slow in supporting ISC, don't blame them really. So the choices are :

  1. Do nothing and wait for Oracle to bring out 7 support on ISC 4.0 Oracle 6 doesn't work :( You can't install it...
  2. Move to SCO. Is 7 avalable yet? How's 6 on SCO?
  3. Move to Solaris on Intel. Is 6 fully supported? I heard just 7 is supported?
  4. Move to SPARC and Solaris or maybe SunOS. This would make my life easier but the customer doesn't want to spend the money :(

Suggestions and feedback are greatly appreciated. I can't seem to get any two people at Oracle to say the same thing about their directions on these PC platforms. Maybe they don't know either 8) I'll summarize or email if asked. Regards,

--
John C. Kelly  Home:   jckelly_at_netcom.com
DISCLAIMER: I speak for me.  Only.  "Change is inevitable. Growth is optional."