Re: Lots of tables in O7

From: Dave Mausner <dmausner_at_brauntech>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 1994 15:36:50 GMT

In article <1994May31.075031.190_at_chuck.sycraft.com>, scott_at_chuck.sycraft.com says:

>My group is building a critical application. One option is to use many tables
>for lookup info (carriers, types of things, etc.) all data driven. This is
>best for the tools we use. Result would be 60+ tables of which 20 would have
>fewer than 20 rows (lookup stuff). Option two would be to put all of that
>lookup stuff in one table.
>
>Which is better for Oracle? Any actual experience?

lots of small tables -- it's not a problem because the often-used tables remain in cache memory, eliminating disk i/o. if you place lots of lookup data into one big table, the same thing will happen, but your schema will be ugly and more difficult to expand in the future. regards,

--
Dave Mausner, Sr Consultant, Braun Technology Group, Chicago.