Oracle 7 & Netware 3.12 ..

From: Lamar Milligan <lamarm_at_moe.coe.uga.edu>
Date: 31 May 1994 15:56:11 GMT

We are trying to run a Powerbuilder application (MS Windows front end) against an Oracle 7 Netware NLM database. The Oracle system has on several occasions ABEND-ed, bringing down the database. The hardware consists of a Micronics EISA-3 486DX2/66 motherboard, 32 MB RAM, Adaptec 2740 controlling 3 each Seagate 540 MB drives. My questions are:

  1. Whodunnit?? Oracle, Netware, or the Powerbuilder application? I have heard that Oracle7 for Netware was fairly stable, but now I'm not so sure.
  2. Would moving back to NW3.11 make the system more stable? Now, Oracle is running on a server with a 10-user NW3.12 license. It was suggested by the application vendor that we use 3.12.
  3. Once the system is stable, how do we maintain a synchronized copy of the database on a standby server?

This is to be a critical application, and I want it to be completely dependable. Any suggestions are welcome, helpful ones are preferable. ;-)

Lamar Milligan		| I have no opinions but my own.
Info Systems Dept	| I speak no opinions but my own.
Walton County Georgia	| Usually, I don't speak at all.