Re: Anyone heard of Oracle opening up an API into Oracle7?

From: Frederick Roeber <roeber_at_vscrna.cern.ch>
Date: Sat, 28 May 1994 14:14:59 GMT

In article <CqF653.Bu2_at_walter.bellcore.com>, jmrunr_at_iscp.bellcore.com (Jim Mihalakis) writes:
> Has anyone heard of any existing internal Oracle API into their Oracle7
> RDBMS that they will open up for external use? I know about their OCI
> (Oracle Call Interface) and that is not what I am referring to. This
> was some sort of announcement in a magazine that I have since lost.

You might be thinking of "Open Gateway."

There are products which can make "other things" appear to be tables inside Oracle; usually these products are gateways to other vendors' databases. The interal Oracle Corp. teams who created these gateways came up with a common toolkit; apparently there was enough outside interest in this facility that they decided to polish up the toolkit a little and release it as a product. This was about the time O7 was coming out, and in the then-rage of "Open" products, it was called "Open Gateway."

I was quite interested in it, but after the first few "It'll be out RSN"s, I lost interest. I don't know if it was ever released.

--
"Ontology recapitulates philology."  -- Harry Quackenboss