Re: Restricted Fields in Forms 3.0

From: Tommy Wareing <p0070621_at_oxford-brookes.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 May 1994 09:02:38 GMT

Dwayne K. Lanclos (lanclosd_at_bcstec.ca.boeing.com) wrote:
> We've got a case here where we want to restrict certain fields on a form
> to be updateable by only two special (administrative) users. All the other
> fields in the table can be changed by regular users. The DBA restricted
> these fields in the Oracle database, but then the regular users couldn't
> update the form.

> We also tried changing the field attributes to "not updateable"
> on-the-fly, but that didn't seem to work, either. We don't want to
> create a special form just for the two administrative users. What
> should we do?

My normal method is to have a pre-record trigger of: IF condition THEN
  set_field('field_name', ENTERABLE, ATTR_ON);   set_field('field_name', UPDATEABLE, ATTR_ON); ELSE
  set_field('field_name', UPDATEABLE, ATTR_OFF);   set_field('field_name', ENTERABLE, ATTR_OFF); END IF; I do it like this, since I frequently end up with some fields enterable dependant on other fields in the same record. If you want to set fields depending on the user, then a pre-form trigger might work, but it might only affect the first record (I've not tried it).

Note that setting a field ENTERABLE on a new record removes the ability to actually alter the data in it, hence the use of UPDATEABLE above. If the field is not supposed to be updateable on existing records, then add a check on system.record_status.

--
 /  Tommy Wareing          \ /  And I dream about movies            \