Re: Looking for a good databrowser

From: Coen Fischer <coen_at_rivm.nl>
Date: Tue, 24 May 1994 07:52:06 GMT

Ron Loxton (loxtonr_at_govonca.gov.on.ca) wrote:
> Hi Netters:

> I am currently in th eprocess of implementing an Oracle system
> and the need has been identified for the ability to create ad hoc
> queries.

> I am loking for a browser that has the following
> characteristics:

> 1) Can access Oracle databases

> 2) Can use SQL*Net

> 3) Is graphically driven. ie they can pick the columns and
> provide the conditions. They do not want to have to write sql stmts.

> 4) Provides output that can be saved as a spreadsheet.

> Thx

We've been looking into some as well. One I tried was SQL*ASSIST from Software Interfaces. Personally I thought that that one is very good. It allows you to define an environment for a user where column names are translated into meaningful names (if necessary), links between key fields can be made etc. When you don't want to do that it has very nice defaults (same column names means a link).

You can get it for windows and motif. I liked the fact that it produces nice SQL code, even if you don't want to write it. Also it adepts rather nicely to the particular database (brand) you're using.

I don't think we'll buy it though, because we're looking for something that can easily transfer data from one type of database to another. This won't.
> Ron Loxton
> Database Administrator
> Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources

Coen Fischer                                     | coen.fischer_at_rivm.nl
Informatics Service Centre                       | tel.  ++31 30 742961
P.O.Box 1, 3720 BA  BILTHOVEN, the Netherlands   | fax.  ++31 30 282316
RIVM - National Institute of Public Health and Environmental Protection