Re: DOS Oracle DBA authorization problem.

From: Alligator Descartes <v_at_istellar.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 May 1994 19:38:06 +0000

> In article <1994May9.105751.1_at_icrf.icnet.uk> c_burns_at_icrf.icnet.uk writes:
>
> :Not sure if this is a DOS or Oracle problem, but here goes..
> :I've just installed Oracle on my Double-Spaced DOS 6.2 drive; SQLPME
> :works OK, as does the ORACLE6 command, but when I try to SQLDBA STARTUP
> :it complains of ORA-1031 - Insufficient privileges and refuses to start
> :the database. I've got the correct DBA_AUTHORIZATION line in my config.ora
> :file, and Oracle finds this file OK, but seems to ignore the password!
> :Supplying the password on the 'startup' command line doesn't seem to work
> :either..
> :
> :Has anybody had this problem before, or can guess what might be happening??

I've had this problem as well. It arose similarly when I moved to DoubleSpace 6.2. However, what seems to be the problem is that ORACLE "wires" itself onto a cluster on the disk and if you move it from that, the RDBMS fails to start, eg, the Authorisation problem. To test this theory a bit further, I zipped up ORACLE and unzipped it again. Failed to work. After examining the state of the disk inside Defrag, there would appear to be an unmoveable block where ORACLE happened to be sitting. So the "disk wiring" may be it.

Unfortunately, the only solution would seem to be re-install the RDBMS.

Hope this clears things up a bit....

--
Alligator Descartes
v_at_istellar.demon.co.uk