Re: Question about SYSDATE and the local TimeZone.

From: Yves Noel <noel_at_omega.univ-lille1.fr>
Date: 16 May 1994 15:16:09 GMT

In article <Cpw3DE.Lvy_at_zeus.etsimo.uniovi.es>, fernando_at_afrodita (Fernando Ariznavarreta) writes:
|>Does anybody know which timezone sysdate selects to return the date?
|>
|>We are in Europe and use MET-1METDST as out local timezone . When I use
|>SYSDATE to insert dates in a field, I would like to insert GMT times.
|>
|>Does anybody know how may I change the timezone used by SYSDATE without
|>change our server timezone?
|>
|>I thought of using NEW_TIME to force the conversion, but there is no
|>MET timezone and it would be difficult to know when to use MET or METDST
|>(when daylight saving is in effect).
|>

|>--
|>+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|>+ Fernando Ariznavarreta Fernandez
|> E-Mail:fernando_at_afrodita.etsimo.uniovi.es +
|>+ Dpto. Explotacion y Prospeccion de Minas Phone: +34 8 510 4267 +
|>+ Advance School of Mines. University of Oviedo +34 8 510 4336 +
|>+ Independencia, 13 Fax: +34 8 510 4242 +
|>+ Oviedo 33004, SPAIN +34 8 510 4340 +

Hello Fernando !
See at the parameter LANGUAGE in the INIT.ORA file, this parameter specifies the language to be used for ORACLE messages, day and month names used by TO_CHAR and TO_DATE, and the default date format. I see in my ORACLE RDBMS Database Administrator's Guide (appendix D-20 version 6.0) that there are several things describe for SPAIN about these.
Hope this help.

--
Database Administrator ________________ Universite des Sciences et Technologies