Re: LONG datatype problem

From: Georg Rehfeld <georg_at_deerwood.hanse.de>
Date: Thu, 12 May 1994 04:04:11 GMT

John Dennis (jdennis_at_netcom.com) wrote:
> Is there any way to compare two LONG datatype to see if there equal????
> I'm trying to find all the attributes of the same name from the
> with different CHECK constraints. BUT the constraints are stored in
> a LONG data type column in USER_CONSTRAINTS. Any ideas??

No way with Oracle SQL, the LONG datatype is nearly unusable in Oracle except using it in a simple SELECT clause. Please reread the manual 'SQL Language Reference' in the section 'Datatypes' subsection 'LONG' ... and you'll become even more frustated.

May be, 'oraperl' can help you a little. It has an easy to use interface to Oracle (based on OCI, but hiding the ugly details of it), and it has powerfull string handling functions. With 'oraperl' you can retrieve all interesting LONG columns and then manipulate/compare them with 'perl' functions.

If you never heard about 'perl' or 'oraperl', please mail me to get some hints. Have a look into the newsgroup 'comp.lang.perl'.

> Frustrated in Atlanta,

Happy with the one and only perl (naturally in the public domain)

> John Dennis

Georg

--
 ___   ___
| + | |__ ' Georg Rehfeld,  D-20535 Hamburg, Jordanstr. 8,  [49] (40) 2518356
|_|_\ |___, georg_at_deerwood.hanse.de