Re: Client PCs for SQL*Forms v4

From: Paul Berger <pberger_at_nic.hookup.net>
Date: 9 May 1994 15:03:59 -0400

In article <1994May9.091252.1_at_va.nkw.ac.uk>, <k_jrag_at_va.nkw.ac.uk> wrote:
>I have been developing SQL*forms v3.0 application to run on a VAX cluster for
>a number of years. We are about to being setting up a client/server system.
>I will be using SQL*forms v4.0 on a PC whilst the database will be on a Unix
>database server.
>
>My question is:
>
>What is the realistic specifications for the PC used to develop SQL*Forms v4.0
>applications?
>
>I know the answer will inevitably be the biggest that I can afford! But in a
>semi-academic/governmental organisation that might not be much. I would like
>some advice from those who have set out along this road already and have some
>experience. Is the development environment really as resource hungry as some of
>the rumours I have heard?

Jeremy

Here is our configuration for development:

We have 486 66 and 33 MHz class computers with half a gig of SCSI disk and 24 MB ram per box. We run OS/2 2.1 and Oracle's CDE products as winos2 sessions.

We also run the Oracle7 database on the same machine using Oracle's SQL*VDM.

Each machine is really it's own self contained (small) client/server configuration.

Each system works reasonably well. Personally I have found that a smaller configuration does not work for serious development efforts.

We have used less ram with eventual and unanticipated session lock up. At this point your session is toast and your frustration mounts.

PB Received on Mon May 09 1994 - 21:03:59 CEST

Original text of this message