How good are Oracle's computer-based training courses?

From: Steve Gaarder <gaarder_at_actech.com>
Date: 5 May 1994 15:04:58 -0500

We're about to spring for a copy of Oracle 7 & assorted tools, and they offer a couple of computer-based self-study course packages that sound like they might be worthwhile. One is the RDBMS/SQL Course Library, which covers database concepts and SQL; the other is their Database Administrators Course Library. What I'm wondering is:

  1. How well designed and implemented are these courses?
  2. For someone with some dbase experience, how much better is the RDBMS/SQL course than just getting a good book on SQL?
  3. As an experienced Unix sysadmin with limited database experience, is the administrator's course worth it or can I do almost as well by RTFMing?

Thanks,

Steven Gaarder                              Network and Systems Administrator
gaarder_at_actech.com                          A C Technology, Ithaca, N.Y., USA