To_Date and olde data

From: Jerry Weiss <jweiss_at_casbah.acns.nwu.edu>
Date: 5 May 1994 18:30:59 GMT

Every so often I run into the problem of doing date comparisions on olde data that was imported into an oracle table with the date field supplied as char (text). Frequently, some of the data in the date field is dirty (ie: 31 days in Feburary :-( and the to_date conversion and my query fails. Anyone have any good tricks on how to deal with problems like this (ie: force some default date for rows that won't convert)? I guess I could spool out the data and then sqlload it with the aid of a more intelligent control file, but I have lots of tables around here to deal with. Any hints or shortcuts appreciated.

--
Jerry S. Weiss
j-weiss_at_nwu.edu