Re: Failed to drop a tablespace in Oracle 6.0.36

From: bs <shatzman_at_netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 1994 18:48:19 GMT

Rick Loffredo (loffredo_at_nprdc.navy.mil) wrote:

: Here is what I have done:
: 1) connect to Sql*Plus as user SYSTEM
: 2) execute the following commands:
: alter tablespace TARGET offline normal;
: drop tablespace TARGET including contents;
: 3) re-boot because my machine was not responding
: 4) examine the status on tablespace TARGET and find out the tablespace has
: been brought off-line, but it is not dropped.

: questions:

: 1) Do I have to connect as INTERNAL instead?
: 2) Do I need to modify my DC_FREE_EXTENTS/ROW_CHCEE_ENQUEUES in init.ora?

I've never had much luck with DT Incl Contents. Either constraints got in the way (Oracle V6 DOES enforce them at the DDL level) or had rollback probs (it can generate tons o rollback) or it just took a long time. That could be why it looked like your machine was not responding. In fact, if you rebooted during the process, you may have just ended up rolling back, which was why you saw what you did. If you noticed it taking a long time to start ORACLE after rebooting, that's probably what happened.

I usually suggest manually emptying out the tablespace and then just dropping it.

barry Received on Wed May 04 1994 - 20:48:19 CEST

Original text of this message