Re: "Downgrading" Oracle 7 to Oracle 6 to integrate with a COTS package, platform DEC Alpha

From: Clarke E. Colombo <colombce_at_venus>
Date: 30 Apr 1994 03:36:39 GMT

Peggy_Hwu_at_sgate.com wrote:
: Hello.

: I have a question about possible third-party packages that can downgrade
: an Oracle 7 database to an Oracle 6 database. I have heard of similar
: packages for Sybase System 10 to Sybase 4.X.

: My office needs to run a COTS package, ISICAD Command 5000 which currently
: supports Oracle 6 as an underlying database. Our DBMS platform is the DEC
: Alpha 2100 (dual-processor system) running OSF/1 OS; Oracle Corporation
: only supports Oracle 7.X on this platform and operating system.

: Problem: How do I integrate this COTS package which supports Oracle 6
: on a platform which only runs Oracle 7?

: Unfortunately, I do not have much information
: on the COTS package, and we are having trouble getting
: in touch with the vendor.

: I am looking into several options:
: - Installing Oracle 7 with the Oracle 6-compatible option.
: Oracle said this will allow version 6-scripts to be used,
: but I am not sure this will completely solve the problem.

: - Using a 3rd-party package (if any exists) that downgrades
: an Oracle 7 database to an Oracle 6-like database.
: If this works real-time, and can be used as a permanent layer
: between Command 5000 and Oracle,
: this could work.

: I have heard of similar packages for downgrading
: Sybase System 10 databases to Sybase 4.X databases.
: If anyone has any more information on any of these kinds
: of packages (for either Oracle or Sybase), can you please
: send me e-mail or post a reply?

: I appreciate it.

: Does anyone have any ideas?

We had this product running on a SUN Sparc 10 with ORACLE 7.0.15. So you may want to try running it with your 7.0 database. If you find out that you must go back to a version 6 database, try using the export utility to create a file compatible with the v6 import.

hope this helps,

Clakre Received on Sat Apr 30 1994 - 05:36:39 CEST

Original text of this message