Re: SQL*Net via SLIP or PPP

From: <jaakola_at_cc.helsinki.fi>
Date: 29 Apr 94 17:51:05 EET

> In article <1994Apr27.230902.21626_at_nova.wright.edu> jmatthews_at_nova.wright.edu writes:
>

>>Sorry if this is off topic. A colleague would like to SQL*Net
>>via (14.4 kbps) modem, with Forms 4 on her PC clone accessing
>>Oracle 7 on a Sun (Solaris) or a PC (SCO Unix). I understand
>>that SQL*Net has an ansynchronous option; alternatively, PPP
>>or SLIP are also supposed to work. Given the latter scenario,
>>what would one need in the way of software for SLIP or PPP?
>>Is anyone doing this? Thanks for any thoughts.

I tried a SQL*Forms 3.0 application on a PC with Novell's Lan Workplace 4 and its SLIP and SQL/Net TCP/IP. The PC was connected with a 9600 bps modem to a HP-UX host running an Oracle version 6 database.

The application was tuned to SQL*Net/APPC which is slower than TCP/IP on PCs. So the number of SQL statements was minimized and POST-CHANGE triggers were avoided.

The performance was too slow to be usable. The form ran correctly, but both developers and users said it's too slow to be usable. I don't have the figures/benchmarks at hand, but I think that the response time was ten times larger than on a LAN.

--
Juhani Jaakola, jaakola_at_cc.helsinki.fi