Re: Opinions on report writers

From: Eric Keen <e_keen_at_access.digex.net>
Date: 27 Apr 1994 23:50:15 -0400

jari_at_relatech.fi (Jari Heinonen) writes:

>In article <Cou64y.7nC_at_sgi1.fnet.cs.mci.com> abell_at_velveeta.apdev.cs.mci.com (Andrew_Bell) writes:

>>We were wondering if anyone could give some recommendations on
>>report writers for SQL-based databases. We would prefer graphical/
>>multiplatform, but would consider anything that works really well.

>SQR (and other SQR products) are worth taking into account. SQR is 4GL report
>writer for Oracle, Sybase, Ingres, Informix, DB2, Rdb, SQL Base, SQL Server,
>etc. SQR is available for several hardware and operating system platforms.

>For more information on SQR contact:

>MITI (Management Information Technology, Inc.)
>2895 Temple Avenue
>Long Beach, California 90806
>(310) 424-4399

>Jari Heinonen Internet: Jari.Heinonen_at_relatech.fi
>Relatech Oy Tel: +358-41-650203
>Ylistonmaentie 31 Fax: +358-41-650120
>FIN-40500 Jyvaskyla
>FINLAND
You've got to make a choice between BAND report writers and COMPLEX report writers.

BANDED report writers (Gupta's Quest, Powerbuilder's PowerViewer) basically take a single select statement, apply functions, headers footers - and roll them into a report. They also have the added benefit of easy GRAPHICS output, and are low-stress clients for the server and workstation.

COMPLEX report writers (SQR, R&R, ReportWriter) combine multiple select statements at the client and produce the output. You need some local storage, and since alot of these are character-mode based, GRAPHICS can be more involved than the BANDED writers.

Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.
  • Mark Twain
    Eric J. Keen 1707 Park Ave Baltimore, MD 21217 e_keen_at_digex.net