Re: Netware Backup Tools

From: Mark J. Ford <mford_at_warren.med.harvard.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 10:20:57

In article <CotpCF.63n_at_csn.org> jwdxt_at_csn.org (Jim Deeming) writes:
>From: jwdxt_at_csn.org (Jim Deeming)
>Subject: Re: Netware Backup Tools
>Date: Mon, 25 Apr 1994 16:19:26 GMT

>radar_at_busadm.cba.hawaii.edu wrote:

>: In article <mford.8.000C2658_at_warren.med.harvard.edu> mford_at_warren.med.harvard.edu (Mark J. Ford) writes:

>: >Does anyone know of any Netware backup systems which will backup an Oracle 7
>: >for Netware system while it is running? We currently use ArcServe 5.0x and
>: >DBAgent to do this, but want to know if other products exist. The DBAgent
>: >part runs on the Netware server with Oracle and automatically puts it into
>: >backup mode when the backup occurs. Any product names that do this or
>: >something like this would be appreciated!

>: I am currently running Oracle for Netware RDBM ver 6.036 and it is my
>: understanding that the database had to be shutdown in order to perform
>: backups. The reason being that the "control" file, which contains
>: information on the state of the database is written at shutdown. Trying
>: to reinstall your database from tape backup would not work without the
>: control file.

>: Does Oracle 7 not need the control file for recovery?

>: Currently I'm using Novaback to do backups. However I have to shutdown
>: the database, copy the files to tape, then restart. This is not that big
>: of a problem since the database is inactive at night. Yet if it had to
>: be on line 24 hours a day it could get ugly.

>You are correct - the only Novell file-based backup you can rely on is
>while your Oracle database is down. You might explore using some
>EXPORT schemes for backups if you want to minimize shutting down your
>database.
>I was amused to see that the Connor Networker backup software I am
>testing "backs up" my open tablespace datafiles. That would be
>pretty useless in a restore situation...

>Jim Deeming
>Boulder County

The above replies to my original posting missed the point. Not only is On-line backup of an Oracle database possible under Netware, but I do it all the time. The product I mentioned puts the database into backup mode, backs up all the files, then does a backup of the control file, then puts the database back on-line. This system works great and I've successfully tested restoring these backups several times. I am looking for other products besides ArcServe/DBAgent because of problems we've had with ArcServe's technical support.

Mark Ford
Sr. Programmer
Mass. General Hospital

Mark J. Ford email:mford_at_warren.med.harvard.edu Received on Tue Apr 26 1994 - 10:20:57 CEST

Original text of this message