Oracle database corruption on HP-UX & Andataco(Micropolis) disk.

From: Don Vinton <dgv_at_teleport.com>
Date: 25 Apr 1994 14:09:26 -0700

Our system administrator has been pulling his hair out lately. Heres a description of the problem.

>Random data corruption errors with ANDATACO 2 or 3 GB SCSI disc drives

>Hardware : HP9000 model G30 or E35
>OS : HP-UX 9.04
>Disc config : Logical Volume Manager (LVM)
>DBMS : Oracle RDBMS Version 6.0.37.0.2

>Various ORACLE procedures report data block corruption errors on table data
>retrieved from disc. The physical disk table data appears correct with the
>errors being detected only in the buffers passed to ORACLE from the disc.
>Successive executions of the procedures will yield a different set of errors.

>Copying the data at the HP-UX file level (e.g. cpio -p) will copy the random
>errors and will then make them a permanent part of the receiving file.
>SCSI terminators, cable lengths, addresses have all been checked.

> *** HELP !!! ***
Here what the error says.

>ORA-01578: ORACLE data block corrupted (file # 22, block # 372)
>ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [3339], [1476395384], [1476395380],

If any one has an idea where we need to look please let us know. If you would like to talk to our administrator directly his name is Gene Cooke and he can be reached at (503) 227-0600.

Thanks.

Don Vinton

--
dgv_at_teleport.COM  Public Access User --- Not affiliated with TECHbooks
Public Access UNIX and Internet at (503) 220-0636 (1200/2400, N81)