Re: Pro*C and C++

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_tibalt.supernet.ab.ca>
Date: 25 Apr 1994 01:58:15 -0600

Globules (globules_at_aol.com) wrote:
> In article <2p465e$s16_at_news.cerf.net>, itsinet_at_nic.cerf.net (John Roesch)
> writes:

> We are considering using CenterLine C++ and PRO*C from
> ORACLE on an HP 9000. My contract insists that we develop
> an 'open system' that is portable to other database environments.
> One of our options is to develop embedded SQL calls in
> our C++ code and use PRO*C to compile the SQL. Is this approach an open
> system? My understanding is that PRO*C is proprietary. Can I later transfer
> to SYBASE without a lot of reworking?

> Thanks for any feedback. Jim O'Connell.

So far, I have not seen any non-proprietary method of calling SQL databases from C (or any other 3GL). My, admittedly limited, understanding of ODBC indicates that special calls may be passed through to the RDBMS untranslated - allowing the RDBMS' ANSI variants to shine through.

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG! In the mean time, I strongly suggest that Pro*C segments be kept in their own modules. Until the standard actually becomes standardized this may be the only safe bet.

Also, ODBC is getting close to being a vendor independant and platform independant product (I think Q+E has announced that their ODBC is/will be available on UNIX, etc.), but compared to Pro*C, it's a bear. It's similar in taste to OCI - bittersweet.

/Hans

Hans Forbrich                  | Certainly the game is rigged. Don't
forbrich_at_tibalt.supernet.ab.ca | let that stop you;  if you don't play
Compuserve: 72613,2042         | you can't win.