Re: TPC-B Benchmark For Oracle7

From: Martin Farber <farber_at_nynexst.com>
Date: 22 Apr 1994 13:58:55 GMT

In article 20APR199411205987_at_ccnova.sunysb.edu, skapur_at_ccnova.sunysb.edu (Sanjay Kapur) writes:
>In article <2p1ngu$han_at_fido.asd.sgi.com>, sreiss@powerplay.engr.sgi.com (Steve Reiss) writes...

>>If you are looking for high TPC-B numbers to compare against, then the
>>highest TPC-B result is from Silicon Graphics Computer Systems.
>>
>>We achieved 1786.20 tps-b at a cost of $1,610/tps. This was on a 28 CPU
>>Challenge XL server running Oracle 7.0.15.4.1
>>
>>Steven Reiss Silicon Graphics, Inc.
>>sreiss_at_sgi.com 2011 N. Shoreline Blvd
>
>The original question was about NTAS based machines. Under most circumstances
>that would nowadays imply a Pentium with say 64MB of memory, and 10 GB of disk
>and software etc. The total price would be under $25,000.
>
>What is the highest TPC-A, TPC-B or the newly announced TCP-C for a machine
>costing under $25,000? The Encore machine and the SGI machine both are in the
>three million dollar range and are basically competing for the dollars of
>very large IBM mainframe customers which are very few and dwindling in number.
>
>Therefore, my challenge to all the vendors on the net:
>
>What is the highest TPC-x number for your system that cost under $25,000?
>
>I believe $25,000 would be the upper limit most small businesses and
>departments in larger businesses or other institutions would put up for a
>database server.
>
>Another useful comparison would be with minicomputers like the VAX/DEC 4000
>series or the SUN Sparcenter 1000 series. In that case,
>
>What is the highest TPC-x number for your system that cost
>under $50,000? under 100,000?
>
>I believe $100,000 would be the upper limit most medium sized businesses and
>larger departments in larger businesses would put up for a database server.
>
>The real trick is not to make a fast machine, but a fast machine that is both
>reliable and affordable.
>

> Sanjay Kapur (SK54) |Internet: Sanjay.Kapur_at_sunysb.edu
> Systems Staff, Computing Services, |Bitnet: SKAPUR_at_USB
> State University of New York, |SPAN/HEPnet: 44132::SKAPUR
> Stony Brook, NY 11794-2400 |Phone:+1-516 632 8029, FAX:+1-516 632 8046

Pretty funny thread! First of all, most TPC bechmarks multiply out to over $1 million.

I thought this was quite curious when they were regarding $30,000 - $45,000 machines! So I investigated one vendor's TPC benchmark to find out where all the money went!!!

It turns out that this particular client/server benchmark covered not only the system itself, but also three front-end systems, a dozen terminal servers, and (get this) 1200 Terminals!

Not your typical client/server configuration! So, call me jaded, but I don't put a lot of value on Vendor's TPC benchmarks - except possibly to compare systems in their own lineup.

As to what companies/departments spend on Oracle servers, I've observed much higher spending habits in the real world. Mostly because I only consult on Oracle projects, and it's not cheap, I'm not either, and the systems seem to be substantial. Maybe in some PC centric environment would someone pick a $20,000 server, but when you consider growth potential they're mostly dead-ended and the cost of converting down the road usually makes one think about the initial choice! If anyone still believes porting from one UNIX platform to another is trivial - I've got a nice bridge to show them... Actually, Oracle is one of the few things that actually ports well! Shell scripts and System Administration are the biggest hurdle.

Anyway, regards..

---
<<MFF>>

Twenty-Five years ago it meant something to be Crazy!

			- Charles Manson