Re: Schema and Rename

From: Shane Hocking <srh_at_scammell.ecos.tne.oz.au>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 1994 10:53:11 GMT

In article <kuanCoKww6.EEC_at_netcom.com> kuan_at_netcom.com (Kuan) writes:
>Dear Oracle People:
>
> Can you give me one reason why you allow -
>
> 1. CREATE SCHEMA.TABLE
> 2. ALTER SCHEMA.TABLE
> 3. DROP SCHEMA.TABLE
>
> BUT, you don't allow
>
> 4. RENAME SCHEMA.TABLE
>
>What's the difficulty in this problem from technical point of view ?

I have also wondered this since rows in the base table obj$ are identified uniquely by the column obj#. Surely all operations internally would use this number and not the name column. It would be a reasonable restriction for the object to be not in use for the RENAME to take place.

It also seemed strange that in V7 you can use the "CREATE OR REPLACE" syntax for a view but not a table.

Shane

Shane Hocking				Email :	srh_at_scammell.ecos.tne.oz.au
Information Technology Group
Telecom Australia