Re: Oracle DDE Manager and Excel

From: Arne Sunde <sunde_at_oslonett.no>
Date: 20 Apr 1994 23:24:08 +0200

klukes_at_novatel.ca (Kevin Lukes) writes:

>I thought I'd resurrect a product that's been gathering dust on our
>shelves titled "Oracle for Windows DDE Manager" and use it to interface
>to some Excel spreadsheets dependent on data residing on a remote
>database.

>It sets up fine - I'm able to create a remote reference in a cell and
>extract data as expected. Problem is, I can't figure out the syntax
>(if there is any) to make the query dependent on an Excel cell reference.

> i.e. something along the lines of:
> select description from parts where partno = $A$1

>The manual very carefully avoids this subject, its examples relying on
>canned queries or values "hard-coded" into the query itself. This seems
>like such an incredibly useful thing to be able to do, I would have thought
>the manual would at least make reference to whether its possible or not.

>Has anyone had any experience with this product who can confirm whether
>such a feat can be accomplished? Otherwise, I suspect the box will be
>going back on the shelf and serve as nesting material for the vermin.

The following is an extract from an Excel macro sheet we have developed for a customer.
It contains various types of cell references:

B392	=IF(sttype="T","TABLE1","TABLE2")
B393	sql.txt="SELECT dato,t00,t01,t02,t03,t04,t05,t06,t07,t08,
                             t09,t10,t11,t12,t13,t14,t15,t16,t17,
                             t18,t19,t20,t21,t22,t23
                 FROM "&B392&"
                 WHERE SIDENT = '"&!sident&"'
                   AND MIDENT = '"&mident&"'
                   AND DATE  >= '"&TEXT(time1;"dd mmm yy")&"'"
B394	=execute(chan,sql.txt)

Regards,

--
Arne Sunde, Eldata A.S      Phone +4767566441
Vestfjordgaten 4            Fax   +4767566445