Re: Textfile viewer for Unix

From: Tommy Wareing <p0070621_at_oxford-brookes.ac.uk>
Date: 14 Apr 1994 09:18:38 -0500

I, Tommy Wareing (p0070621_at_oxford-brookes.ac.uk) wrote:
> The real advantage I've found with cdimore is that it copes with long
> lines. Some of the reports we produce are 180 characters by 60 lines
> per page, and cdimore handles these quite well. It's my understanding
> (I haven't tried it) that less will wrap these lines to whatever the
> display width is, rather than allowing the user to scroll sideways.

> Does anyone have a PD program that would allow us to get around this
> problem.

> We're on UNIX platforms btw: SunOS and Dynix.

John Turnbull (john_at_com.thunderstone) has since informed me about a program called "most", which allows scrolling forward, backward and sideways on a file. These seems to be what we need. I haven't checked to see whether it copes with screens taller than 24 lines.

It does have some problems: the source code is ANSI C (which my poor Sun C compiler hated until I alter all the function declarations); some of the documentation is out of date, and it's set up for VT-type terminals (which covers most, but not all of ours).

If there's enough pressure, I might look at fixing the terminal dependance problems.

--
 /  Tommy Wareing          \ /  Whadda you mean it's all my fault?  \