Looking for a (better?) report writer

From: Bill Meahan <wmeahan_at_ef0424.efhd.ford.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 1994 09:02:47

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT an official RFQ in any sense of the word!! I'm only looking for the collective wisdom and experience of the folks on the net. Just consider this in the same category of information request as the "bingo" cards in the trade rags.

We're looking for information about a report writer, something OTHER than Oracle Reports or SQL*ReportWriter (we already HAVE that information).

Characteristics:

*Must run on HP-UX on 800-series PA-RISC machines. (sorry, but we

          can't consider anything that runs only on something else, no matter
          how fantastic it is).

*Must support both Oracle 6 (current installation) AND Oracle 7 (late
this year installation).
*Must be able to take parameters from a command line (even if
just the name of a file containing commands/more info.
*Must be capable of generating and printing "business graphs" (at
LEAST line and bar/column charts) integrated with standard textual and tabular data.
*Must be able to do at least some font changes (bold, italic,
different point sizes). *Must support both PCL and PostScript printers. *Must NOT require a directly-connected printer (i.e. must use normal Unix print spooling which may print to a remote network printer).
*The ability to do selective "greybars" is desired but not required.

*A "graphical" layout designer (WYSIWYG?) is desired but not required.

*Something that has a "companion" version that runs on MS-Windows 3.1
would be very nice, but not required. *A reasonable price would make management happy :-)

Anybody know of such a beast?

 If all else fails, I can certainly obtain the baseline functionality using oraperl, gnuplot and LaTeX but that requires a LOT of work and training for the developers - something management would like to avoid, if at all posible.

--
Bill Meahan,  Senior Developer  |        wmeahan_at_ef0424.efhd.ford.com
Electrical & Fuel Handling Division, Ford Motor Company