Novice needs help!!!

From: <chaikowski_at_awecim.enet.dec.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 1994 19:07:23 GMT

    Let me start by first saying that I would not hesitate to research     this through the ORACLE doc set. Since I do not have access to one,     nor, to anyone within this organization that knows anything about ORACLE,     I post this question.

    Within our organization, there is a Sun SparcStation running Sun OS     Version 4.1.3 and has ORACLE7 installed as part of an application.     Since this machine is here, I figured it would be a good opportunity     to pick up some ORACLE knowledge. I borrowed a few books from the     library on the subject of SQLPLUS.

    Invoking SQLPLUS produces a list of error messages below. I did some     digging and found that they map to some sort of message file.

    QUESTION: How do I configure ORACLE so that the messages map correctly??

    I found the message file and determined SQLPLUS was asking for a     username/password.

    QUESTION: How to I establish a username/password for myself inorder

              to use the product??

    Thanks in advance,

    Mike Chaikowski

     $ sqlplus

     Message 133 not found; No message file for product=SQLPlus,
     facility=SP2: Releas
     e 3.1.1.9.1 - Production on Tue Apr  5 14:54:51 1994

     Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1992.  All rights reserved.

     Message 231 not found; No message file for product=SQLPlus,
     facility=SP2
     Message 428 not found; No message file for product=SQLPlus,
     facility=SP2Message
     231 not found; No message file for product=SQLPlus, facility=SP2
     Message 428 not found; No message file for product=SQLPlus,
     facility=SP2Message
     231 not found; No message file for product=SQLPlus, facility=SP2
     Message 428 not found; No message file for product=SQLPlus,
     facility=SP2Message
     157 not found; No message file for product=SQLPlus, facilit