Re: Client/Server type question

From: R Scott Hunter <rshunter_at_delphi.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 94 14:58:43 -0500

Muralidhar Manickam <manickam_at_eemips.tamu.edu> writes:

> One solution I can think of is having Oracle running on a 486/66 with SCO UNIX.
>Clients can log into server using kermit etc. and run queries on the server.
>Disadv. of this would be 1) no GUI interface 2) Oracle costs lots of money when
>talking about multi-user licenses.

If you have people logging into UNIX from workstations, and executing their queries on the Oracle database engine with tools under UNIX directly, you are not in a client / server environment-- you're just using your PCs as dumb terminals.

>Q) For GUI interface can we have an MS-ACCESS front-end, with SQL*NET and
> TCP/IP combination connecting over modem line to a Oracle server running
> on an 486/66 with SCO UNIX.

Microsoft Access and Oracle Server make a very good combination. We're doing quite a bit of work with that environment here.

>Q) Is it possible to have MS-ACCESS at both the client and server end with
> some kind of telecommunication software handling the modem connection
> between them.

You can have a multiuser Access database. Access isn't very heavy in the multiuser capabilities, though, compared with Oracle, and you would need to establish LAN connections between the server and the clients; the users would have to be able to mount the disk where the MDB files reside.

Clients accessing the Oracle engine on a server count as users whether they are interactively accessing UNIX sessions as terminals, or linking to Oracle through a true client/server connection. You should discuss such considerations with your Oracle marketing representative.

| R. Scott Hunter		| shunter_at_cfotax.attmail.com	     |
| Database Administrator	| rshunter_at_delphi.com		     |
| AT&T Tax Systems		| (201) 326-3245		     |
| Morristown, NJ USA		|				     |