Re: Forever growing indexes problem

From: Stan Brown <stanb_at_netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 1994 02:59:33 GMT

barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com (Barry Roomberg) writes:

>-> Shutting the system down, dropping the indexes, and recreating will
>-> result in smaller indexes.
>->
>-> Question does anybody have any thoughts on how to fix this problem?
>-> We are still running Version 6 but would upgrade to Version 7 if it
>-> would help.

>Nope. The only O7 does like that is resizeing rollback segments to
>optimum size.

>You may want to play with the STORAGE params to slow the process down,
>but sooner or later you will be extending those indexes!

        This *can't* be correct. If it is how do all online systems that run 24 hours a day 7 days a week *ever* work using Oracle?

        Let me rephrase the problem. We have tables that we put data into every 15 seconds. We have a program the periodicly removes this data, therefore the *tables* do not! fill up. However the indexes do, This really can't be right. I must be doing something wrong.

--
Stan Brown     stab_at_netcom                                          404-996-6955
Factory Automation Systems