Re: Changing SID on an instance

From: Lee E Parsons <lparsons_at_world.std.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 22:01:32 GMT

jarv_at_chinook.halcyon.com (Jason Edwards) writes:
> Does anybody out there know how to change the SID of a
> V6 instance on UNIX? We can't seem to find anything in the docs
> about it.

[The following is from memory]

If all you really want to do is change the SID.

  1. shutdown the db.
  2. change your ORACLE_SID
  3. mv the initOLDSID.ora file to initNEWSID.ora
  4. restart

If you want to change the dbname you must recreate the db with a new dbname or use the create controlfile command.

create controlfile is not available on older versions of V6. I think 3.0.36 or better is required. it should also not be run against a database you couldn't recover in case of typo.

--
Regards,

Lee E. Parsons
Systems Oracle DBA	 			lparsons_at_world.std.com