Re: MS-Access & Oracle on a Unix Box

From: Doug Harris <ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 13:10:22 GMT

In a previous article, jroberts_at_interaccess.com (James Roberts) says:
>sfrazier_at_infinet.com (Steve E. Frazier) writes:

>>Can someone tell me if it is possible to run MS-Access on a Novell server
>>and have it
>>access Oracle databases off of a Unix box?
>My guess is that the best way would be to use NFS (Network File System) the
>unix Oracle db would look like it's on the Novell server.

   You should NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES attempt to access an Oracle database remotely using NFS.

  1. It won't work reliably
  2. It will clobber your network
  3. You will eventually DESTROY your database (maybe not today, or tomorrow, but it WILL happen).

   See your Unix SARG for the full page on why this is a No-No.

  • Doug Harris Database Administrator, System Development Division, Statistics Canada ## Standard Disclaimer Applies ## --