Re: MS-Access & Oracle on a Unix Box

From: Jeff Kopmanis <jeffk_at_garnet.msen.com>
Date: 22 Mar 1994 03:08:17 GMT

David I. Laudicina (dil.admin_at_mhs.unc.edu) wrote:

: >Can someone tell me if it is possible to run MS-Access on a Novell server
: >and have it
: >access Oracle databases off of a Unix box? Would the Novell server have
: >to be running DOS Oracle in order to do so? If this is possible, how
: >would it work, obviously via TCP-IP, correct?

: >thanks in advance.

: I don't think so. The Access exe would live on the server and you could
: connect to the Unix dbms from your client running Access via ODBC driver or
: direct calls to the database API. You could use LAN Workplace for DOS (Novell)
: for the client TCPIP stack and could use the Oracle SQL* Net to interface your
: client running ODBC driver to the TCPIP stack and in turn to your Oracle DBMS.
: Thx Dave L

Our LAN is setup with Access on the Novell Server, LAN Workplace for DOS on the PC's, accessing Oracle 7 on a Sun SparcCenter 1000 through ORacle SQL*Net TCP/IP for Windows and MS ODBC drivers. Access talks to Oracle through the ODBC/SQLNet connection. It works.

--
Jeff Kopmanis       (Ann Arbor, Michigan)   |  email:  jeffk_at_msen.com
Organizer of the Linux Software Map (LSM)   |  phone: (313) 393-4784 (work)