comp.databases.oracle

From: Ava Cross <across_at_acs.ryerson.ca>
Date: 18 Mar 1994 21:45:26 GMT

I have a problem with a Pro*COBOL user exit. I wonder if anyone knows the answer?

Computer: HP 9000 Model 827
Operating System: HP-UX 9.0

Oracle Server: 7.0.15.4
SQL*Forms    : 3.0.16.12.7
Pro*COBOL    : 1.5.9.0.1

I wish to pass a Forms field to the COBOL user exit with EXEC IAF GET. The Forms field is Type NUMBER, Length 4. The COBOL Host Variable, declared in the DECLARE SECTION, is PIC S9(4) COMP. The manuals, while not rich in Pro*COBOL User Exit examples, seem to say that this is correct and should work.

However, when I run this, I get a COBOL memory fault. (When I remove this field it works. Furthermore, Fields of Type CHAR are being passed to Host Variables of type PIC X(..) just fine.)

I have logged a TAR with Oracle but am getting no action (on what seems to me to be a fairly simple question: can you do it or can't you). The one thing they have told me is that this WAS a bug in Oracle 6, but was supposedly fixed in Oracle 7.

Does anybody know a simple measure to take to avoid this problem? A different Declaration? Isolating the GET in some way? If Oracle would say, "Oh Sorry, that's still a bug, you can't pass numbers to an exit", I would put a rather cumbersome double-convert: number-to-CHAR in the Form, CHAR to number in the exit, but I hate to do that if anybody knows a better way. Received on Fri Mar 18 1994 - 22:45:26 CET

Original text of this message