Re: Oracle on AIX to Tape Question

From: Anton Dischner <dischner_at_med.uni-muenchen.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 1994 21:59:16 +0100

In article <11e_9403091720_at_mechanic.fidonet.org>, Steven.K.Shapiro_at_470.mechanic.fidonet.org (Steven K Shapiro) wrote:

> Howdy Y'All !
>
> We are currently running Oracle 7.0 on an RS/6000 with AIX 3.2
>
> What we want to be able to do is use the Oracle Export utility to export directly to tape.
>
> We have no problem Exporting to a disk file and then copying the disk file to tape, but we just can't seem to get the magical incantation just right to make it export directly to the tape device (RMT0).

Export to tape should work fine (did so for me under 6.0.36 under AIX 3.2). BTW: Did you type exactly /dev/rmt0 ?

But take a look into the Oracle FAQ.

There is a nice mothod.
Create a pipe.
Export into the tape.
On the other end of the pipe do a compress, a send over the net or a write to tape;
You can use any command that reads from stdin.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Toni Received on Thu Mar 10 1994 - 21:59:16 CET

Original text of this message